What is tags
Tag is a single word or a short phrase which can be used to categorise references according to one or another property. They are company specific and created by local users or administrators.
Tags are used to group or identify references in and across departments and between users.
Tags are searchable.
Situation where tagging are useful:
- Classifying references according to relevance - High, Medium, Low, Relevant, Noise
- Inform other users e.g. patent department or co-workers to take action e.g. add watch, what is status, file opposition, feedback needed etc.
- Adjusting scope of search profile based on user feedback, non-relevant references easily identified
- Subdividing of references across departments and search profiles
A reference can have one or more tags.
Read only users can both search for and see tags, but not add or remove them.
Local administrators can restrict which tags the local users can see and use when tagging references. Using predefined tags keeps the consistency of information sharing between users and the ability to retrieve relevant references.
Tagging a group of reference
Follow these steps to apply or remove tag(s) from the selected references in two steps.
- Open list view for e.g. a department or references with the status "Not viewed in detailed"
- Select one or more references - add check mark in left column
- Click on the "Tag selected reference(s) (T)" in the "Tools" menu (or press "T")
This opens the pop up menu "Add tag to selected reference(s)"
Type the name of the tag followed by enter to save the tag or choose it from the drop down menu
If tags are controlled by the administrator, only those are available
Search by tag(s)
You can also search by tag(s) using the advanced search function for this purpose there are two search fields included:
- Search for references which include given tag(s). Here you can choose if you want to search for references where all specified tags are set or for references with at least one of the specified tag set.
- Search for references which doesn't include given tag(s). In this case only references where the specified tag(s) are not present will be found.
Administrator controlled tags
In order to keep tag name consistency the local administrator can restrict tags for local users to a predefined list. Only tags from the predefined list will then be visible, usable and searchable for the local users.
The local administrator will still be able to create their own tags and use any other tags. This means that the tag restriction is not applied to the local administrators, but tags, which are not in the predefined "restricted list" will only be visible to local administrators.
When the "Restrict tags for local users" option is enabled, the detailed reference view will always have a tag heading in red when no tags are active "No tags selected" and it is not possible for the local user to type their own tags. The only possible action for the local user is to select/deselect the tag(s) and when selected the tag colour is changed to dark blue.
To enable restricted tags do the following:
- Open the company setting "Administration menu"
- Enable the "Restrict tags for local users"
- Name the tags which should be visible to the users, by entering their name in the box and finish with enter to save each tag name.
- When the tag list is complete, save the company information to applied the tags to the users.